Monday 14 September 2015

2015 Mystery Quilt Part One

******

28th October Update:

Okay guys, I’ve found the error.

It’s in step three.  I’ve reversed the colours used.  You’re supposed to have flying geese with yellow wings and a blue base, not the other way around.

I’m genuinely sorry for the error.  I don’t know how it slipped through.  I know it means you have a whole swag of flying geese in the wrong colour left over. Again, I’m so sorry.  I hope you can use them on the back, or perhaps in another project.  I’ve now updated all the instructions so hopefully the only ones you will need to reprint are the ones from Step Three.

******

 

Okay. Are you ready? This part is easy. Trust me.

I’m just going to assume you’re making the two colour quilt for the sake of brevity – if you’re making a scrappy quilt, just substitute random colours when I use the blue or yellow, and still keep your creams as they are.

From Cream fabric, cut (196) 2 ½” squares

From Yellow fabric, cut (49) 4 ½” squares

Draw a light pencil line on the wrong side of the cream squares as shown:

image

Lay this square, right sides together, over the corner of a yellow square. Stitch on the drawn line, and trim excess away.

image

image

Repeat with remaining cream squares, until you have stitched all four sides.

image

image

image

Unit A – Make 49 blocks.

When complete, these blocks should measure 4 ½” square.

Place in a ziplock bag and label as Unit A.

That’s it!  See you next week!

6 comments:

  1. Is there any chance you could do these as pdf files?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rabbitspinner, I'd be happy to do that for you, but I got a little stuck in the uploading part on this website (i need to find a filehosting place). I'm most happy to post them to you, if you sent me an email.

      Delete
  2. If doing scrappy, with light background, do you have any recommendations as to whether you'd do yellow or blue as medium or dark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dot,

      That's a great question. I'd do either both dark, or both medium - having a light background with a medium choice and a dark choice might make one colour fade away a little. I guess try and keep the two colour choices in the same value if possible. Though it's a scrappy quilt so it will all work out in the end!

      Delete
  3. OK - I'm in. Pulling fabrics now..... :)

    ReplyDelete