Monday 5 November 2012

Catching Up

I’ve been trying to catch up with the Grandmother’s Choice quilt blocks, and I must say after a bit of effort, I’m almost there!

194

This is block eight – Rocky Road To Kansas.  It used a Y seam and I think I did okay.  I tried my hand at fussy cutting which I think turned out just fine.

I’m finding it difficult, with all the many fabrics I have in my stash, to find a variety of greens and reds.  I’m determined not to buy any more.  And I’m forever running out of backgrounds.  Do you have that problem?

197

This one is week nine – Brick Pavement, March On Washington.  Secretly I’m quite chuffed with this one.  I’m using the 1/16th measurement on my cutting board as Barbara recommended and I’m finding it really does help with the accuracy of some of these more challenging blocks. 

I’ve been a quilter for years, and it’s only now that I think I might actually be getting somewhere with my accuracy.  The internet has certainly made me rethink a lot of my quilting ‘rules’.  It’s a good thing.  One is never too old to learn something new!

I am off to make the current week’s block, which is an American Flag block.  No disrespect to you American ladies out there, but I might do something different this week.  Maybe I’ll try and Australian-ify my block this time.

Happy Quilting!

Suzie

1 comment:

  1. I think you did more than Ok with those Y-seams. And I love your fussy cut points. I'm looking forward to see what you do to Australian-ify this weeks block. :-)

    ReplyDelete