Sunday 10 July 2016

Bright Shiny Stars


Hello lovely readers, I'm back again.

It's been so cold here, and it's school holidays also, and it's the perfect time to snuggle up and crochet on the lounge, which is exactly what I've been doing.  But I'm no Lucy from Attic24, and my crocheting isn't really worthy of a blog post, so I have little in the quilty area to show you.  I have also been knitting socks and I see a new favourite hobby coming up in my future.

I've been productive in my sewing room though.  You know how one little job leads to another not so big job and then that leads to a massive one?  Yeah, that's happening here at the moment.

I have a lovely pile of brights that I'm thoroughly enjoying right now, and I thought I'd try a bright, starry quilt.  So I made this block:


which looked really lovely.  My two daughters both hovered over it, both keen to have a new quilt that isn't pastelly and little girl like.  I've decided to give this one to the baby of the family, and she decided that it needed a border.  She's all of eight and knows her mind very much.


So I sashed around a block and had a look at it, and decided that yes, I did like that.  I decided that I would grab my homespun box (es) and find enough different fabrics to use.  

Well, the really big job that I mentioned?  I have three boxes of homespuns, and they are in such a mess I bit the bullet and have been ironing them all flat, and trying to sort them into the colours.  I have so many small offcuts that aren't any good for anything too big, so percolating in the back of my mind is an Amish scrap quilt (why is it that one good job always leads to more quilt designing in my head?)  Consequently the sewing room table is covered in homespuns and not much actual cutting has been going on.

I'm hopeful that I can reduce the whole three boxes into maybe two - that would be excellent!

I'm committed to put the borders on these blocks, which is what Madam wants, but when I laid all the blocks together on the design board, I really liked them in this way.  Much less work too.




However, being the good mother I am, I will make the quilt the way she likes it (which is really very nice anyway).

And that is my update for you, my lovely readers.  School holidays have just started and already we are complaining that 'we are boreddddd' - it's going to be a long two weeks!

4 comments:

  1. Pretty blocks, should be wonderful when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I'm hoping I can get a clear run at it soon. It is a quick quilt to make!

      Delete
  2. Very cheerful stars! I have that issue too - one thing leads to another which leads to another, before Iknow it there are projects everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Raewyn, it's such a bad problem to have. I'm so far behind....I blame the internet!

      Delete