Wednesday 25 February 2015

Grand Illusion Back On....but my way.

I'm jumping all over the place with my quilting right now.  I can't settle on any one thing.

I pulled out Grand Illusion and with the benefit of a few weeks away from it, I came to my decision about how I am to finish it.  As you can see, I've sashed each block with white, cornerstoned it with blue and that's as far as I have got for now.





I've not even pressed it, so please forgive the crumpled look of it.

I think now I'm going to stitch a floating border of yellow around the outer edge, and then copy Bonnie's idea for the outer border.  I always like that part of it.  Really, I liked this block too but just couldn't deal with the green/black/cream checkerboard sashing, so I've left it out.

Of course now I have 203957 green/black/cream checkerboard pieces left that won't play nicely with other fabrics so I'm going to unpick at least half the unit.  Then perhaps inspiration will hit me as to what to do with that.

Hope you've had a happy day - most of my family is coming down with head colds so odds are I'll get that once everyone else is better.  That seems to be the norm around here!


5 comments:

  1. I keep waiting for the sneezing and coughing ... my DH had the upper respiratory crud and I'm waiting to get it. So far so good. I hope that'll be the same for you. I love your sashing for your Grand Illusion ... the checkerboard sashing overpowered the blocks and made the entire quilt into a chaotic mish-mash. Yours tames it down and allows the blocks to shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Now I've decided to float a little yellow border around the outside before I put the pieced border on, and of course I haven't enough yellow! So no more Grand Illusion till I get to the shops.

      Delete
  2. I finally finished my GI quilt last week and I'm really happy with it! I was thinking that maybe you could incorporate those double 4-patch units into a Christmas quilt. Instead of unpicking, could you design something that would add in a red?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,

      I'm so glad that you like your quilt. I think part of the problem for me was that I have a particular 'eye' for things and if these quilts stray from my (very narrow) parameters I find it hard to love them. And that's always the risk with mystery quilts. I've loved all that Bonnie has done till now and no doubt will love her future quilts. My green isn't really a Christmas green but that is a very good idea - thanks for that!

      Delete
  3. ...if not, St. Patty's Day is just around the corner. These are the perfect colors for that, too!

    ReplyDelete