Tuesday 13 January 2015

Emu View

I was having a clean out of the photos on this laptop when I came across a set of them you may enjoy.

But first, some backstory.  I drove to the town next to us before Christmas to get stuck into doing some of that, and I took my trusty Ipod with me.  My car is newish, and has a plug that you can stick into the Ipod and listen to podcasts and the like.  However, when you stop driving and start again, it doesn’t automatically begin.  You have to unplug and replug the device.  Annoying, but hey – that’s the way it rolls.

So, I started driving from my destination and realised about two minutes into the drive that the Ipod wasn’t working, so I pulled over to plug it in.  I pulled over next to a local business that has, for as long as I remember, had a big nature reserve in front which houses some kangaroos and emus.

I fiddled around with the Ipod, got it working, and then looked out my window:

IMG_0646

IMG_0647

IMG_0648

IMG_0649

IMG_0650

IMG_0651

IMG_0652

IMG_0653

IMG_0654

IMG_0655

IMG_0656

IMG_0657

IMG_0658

IMG_0659

They are three quarter tame, and were waiting for me to feed them.

Kangaroos are a dime a dozen around here, though you don’t get too close to them.  Emus, while still as common, are not something you see as often and so when you get the chance to take photos of them while they are on one side of a fence and you are on the other – well, you take it!  Normally when these sort of situations happen I don’t have my camera, but as we’ve just discussed, I had my Ipod!  And this day, the photos worked!

I was trying to get a photo of their lovely soft eyes, and faces because I can totally see an art quilt in that.  But I wasn’t so successful.  I took lots of photos, and then when they realised that they weren’t going to get fed, they moved on.

But it made my day. 

Till tomorrow

Suzie

2 comments:

  1. Magic bunch of photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't they lovely? Though I'm quite okay with them behind the fence, I must admit they freak me out up close with no protection - they have very large beaks!

    ReplyDelete