Thursday 21 August 2014

Another flimsy….Mystery Quilt

A few days ago I mentioned that I was making a quilt top through our quilt group.  One of our members designed it.  I’m pleased to say that I have finished the top!

IMG_4936

Tadah!

It’s not even slightly like the original.  I got the instructions wrong on certain blocks, I didn’t have enough border fabric to do it the way that she did, and so it’s a mashup of a few different things.

IMG_4926

It’s always risky when doing a mystery quilt.  I’ve had some spectacular failures, and some spectacular successes and there’s no way of knowing which one it is going to turn out like.  I think it’s all down to trusting your designer.

IMG_4927

These are little flower blocks. 

IMG_4928

And these are perfectly turned, little leaf blocks.

Am so very clever.  Didn’t know how to do proper applique and despite all my methods never working, I thought ‘What the hey, I’ll try another method’.  I’d seen hugs and kisses use a method and I thought ‘I’ll try that’..and this is the result.

Do you know the meaning of the word serendipity?  It’s one of my favourite words.  It means "fortunate happenstance" or "pleasant surprise" according to wikipedia and it happened to me just then.  When I went to find the link, buried deep within the Hugs And Kisses website to the mention she made of her applique paper, it was right there at the very top post, like she’d written it for me. 

So go here: http://hugsnkisses.typepad.com/hugsfromhelen/2014/08/video-tutorials.html and see how easy it is!  And the paper is cheap enough too.

IMG_4929

So I’m not altogether displeased with this quilt, though it’s not really my style.  But I learned how to do perfect (kinda) applique so that’s an excellent thing.

IMG_4930

 

IMG_4931

IMG_4935

I wish I could say that my camera didn’t photograph the colours well and it’s all a little washed out but sadly, that is how it looks in real life. 

Wishy washy.

Never mind, I had fun making it!

Till tomorrow,

Suzie

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks great. You haven't stuffed up, you've just made design changes to make it truly yours. I don't do many mystery quilts as very often I've got half way through and been disappointed. Well done for sticking with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gina :) I'm certainly trying to finish what I start now (at least, to flimsy stage) and that goes for mystery quilts. I do love Bonnie Hunter's mysteries, I'll just stick to them, I think. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete